Saturday, February 21, 2009

February 21, 2009: Lukas and math

My six-year-old found out a few days ago that the upstairs neighbors have the DVD of "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang", and all the children have been asking me to let them borrow it, and I kept saying "maybe..." This morning Lukas bounced into my room and the first thing he asked was when he could borrow Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang. In exasperation, I said, "When you've finished your math book!" In less than five minutes, no joke, he had completed the last six pages of his math book, gotten dressed, and was out the door. So we watched a movie today. We'd all seen it before, but my husband and I especially enjoyed all the extra bits that DVD's have--interview with Dick Van Dyke, how the movie was made, etc.

Then this evening Lukas was bored and asked me what he should do, so I suggested starting his new math book. He got very excited--and did the first six lessons.

Since I date the children's written work (although I do usually eventually throw away workbooks), I could look back and see exactly how long it took Lukas to complete Earlybird Mathematics 2B: just over four months. However, I also counted how many DAYS he actually did something: only 20. We haven't exactly been consistant about math with him! Now that he's in Primary Mathematics 1A, maybe I'll do better at remembering that he's "officially" a first-grader. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment